Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Who Said Mama Can't Cook?

So in my last blog entry, I said I was thinking of making healthy, home made treats to avoid the store-bought kind and that I was going to make sweet potato and peanut butter doggy cookies, buuuuuuuuut I kinda went all out, a bunch of ingredients went into the mix and yumminess in the oven ensued!

I didn't use a recipe as I kind of made it up as I went along, but out came what must have been some really delicious cookies, according to Yoda anyhow. This is more or less how it went:

Yoda's Liver-Chip Cookie Recipe
  • half a sweet potato (cooked in the microwave and mashed up)
  • 4-5 caps of yellow and orange peppers chopped up
  • 4 large eggs
  • about 1 cup of cooked plain oatmeal
  • 1.5-2 cups of whole wheat flour
  • 1/4 cup vegetable oil
  • about 4 tbps mixture of flax seeds, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, chia seeds and almonds all ground up
  • lots of cinnamon
  • big handful of dry liver treats broken up into small pieces like chocolate-chips
Mashed it all up together in the blender, then I added an extra sprinkling of oats into the mix to give it a chunkier, crunchier texture, placed small spoonfuls on a baking sheet lined with foil and baked it at 350F for 45 minutes and voilĂ ! homemade treats for the whole week!


Who said you can't instagram photos of dog treats?


MMM I think she likes theeemmm!!!


OM NOM NOM!

100% natural, 100% healthy and 100% Yoda approved! (Geez, I sound like such a Mom, lol)

This was SO much fun for everyone involved and I can't wait to try out more recipes!

If you have any healthy recipe ideas you would like to share, let me know! 

6 comments:

  1. Awesome! I need to make cat treats myself. I thought that dogs had issues with flour though? -Andie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey babe, thanks for coming by, yay! From what I know, whole wheat flour is ok in reasonable amounts as part of a balanced diet and as treats (i.e starchy carbs being around 1/3 of a meal), as long as pups isn't allergic to gluten, then you can use rice or coconut flour instead. Cat treats can also be fun :)

      Delete
  2. Looks super delish Yoda! Shiner is definitely jealous. Supposedly lots of grains can cause gas because they ferment in the dog's stomach. Idk if oatmeal is considered a grain? Either way, you are very creative and they look very good! Or at least Shiner thinks so hehe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Ann, thanks for writing. Yeah, it seems you might be right about the gas. After feeding her about 12 full cookies yesterday she was a bit tooty lol so I am cutting them down into little morsels and will feed her 2-3 a day only.

      Delete
  3. Holy moly girl! haha How did Yoda's stomach handle all that? I'm weary of putting eggs in things. We try to keep it straight up sweet potato or peanut butter. He has too many allergies that will give him ear infections. Power to Yoda though! That's awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My Coco is going to love these! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete